Wednesday, July 27, 2011

When I'm Tired

When I'm tired, I just don't do anything very well. I lose my patience...quickly. I speak more harshly. I become frustrated and exasperated by almost any little nuisance and I overreact, usually ending up in tears by the time all is said and done.

I know that being tired is a natural part of life. Our bodies need rest to function properly. I also know that I should respond immediately when my body is saying, "GO TO BED!" but I usually don't. I think of "just a few more things to do" while there aren't interruptions and then I've deprived myself of an hour or more of much needed sleep.

Right now, I'd like to be napping, but I can hear little footsteps upstairs that tell me that the small people in my house are not, so I shouldn't either (if I don't want to awaken to some sort of mess).

And so I sit, tapping keys on a computer to offer a little solace, helping me to feel semi-productive while I wait for another opportunity to get some rest.

1 comment:

keepingtrack said...

I think, or perhaps, I hope they will know why you emphasize the importance of cleanliness, organization, and schedule. Because we love, we need to be sure we have a balance of both. Children I believe need structure, to know there are consequences to chaos, unclean, and messy environment. Does it mean we don't love? On the contrary, as you probably well know, kids thrive when they know the adults around them are in charge. So remember to forgive yourself and they will remember the love and respond accordingly.