Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Because they ARE grand

Sometime after I graduated from college I read an article about a man that encouraged people to "give them [loved ones] flowers before they're gone." He explained that too often in life we wait until someone has died to say all the things that we loved and appreciated about them. I decided that I wanted to tell my grandparents what they meant to me, how I perceived them, and what I treasured about who they are or were. This was a gift to my Memaw on Mother's Day several years ago. As the holidays approach, if you simply can't think of something to give to your parents or grandparents, or even your kids, consider "flowers" like these.

For Memaw

(to anyone that might be paying attention, that's my other grandmother)

When I Think of You...

I think of evening escapes to the front porch swing, sitting beside you in the coolness as fireflies begin to light the coming darkness.
I think of the aromas of your kitchen, like early morning coffee and country ham or rutabaga turnips that you can smell from the yard.
I think of the soft scent of magnolias and honeysuckle in the spring which reminds me of the perfect blend of southern sweetness in your voice when you say names like "Mary" or "Martha".
I think of your strength and dependability, like the iron skillet in your cabinet, only when it is placed over heat can it produce rich chocolate icing for a five layer cake and like that sturdy skillet, when you experience intense situations, you manage to produce something good.
I think of the capability of your hands--making biscuits, cradling a baby, stroking my hair, sewing on buttons, and pulling a piece of Wrigley's Double Mint gum from your purse at just the right time.
I think of your gentle alto voice singing hymns and humming lullabies, reading the Bible and offering advice.

Of all these things, the thing that I think of most when I think of you is not something that can be touched, smelled, or tasted. It is your loving acceptance. You have a willingness to forgive quickly and your mercy and compassion have given hope to many in their time of greatest need. This attitude is mirrored in your actions. The fact that there is always room at your table for one more with "plenty of food for everybody" reflects that your heart is overflowing with goodness. You are a gift from God and I am glad he chose to let you be my "Memaw."

No comments: