Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why he is "The One"

I sometimes think about who my parents or grandparents were before they were parents and grandparents. I wonder if my children might one day do the same. If they ever wonder, I want them to know why their Daddy is "the one" I chose.

He has a smile that says, "We can have fun together" and eyes that say, "I'm not just looking for fun."

He knows what he wants, and it seems that he always has. I once heard someone say that the job of an orthodontist is "to apply gentle, consistent pressure to create change" and I think that is how he lives life. I have never known him to forcefully rush into a situation and try to make everyone else adjust. He helps me to remember that chivalry is not a thing of the past.

He accepts me as I am, and yet with him, I want to be a better version of myself.

While we were dating, he encouraged me to go where God was leading, even when that meant spending a year away from him, on the other side of the world.

He has a heart for people, and a willingness to serve without expecting anything in return.

He is willing to sing with me, even when I sing off key. He is willing to dance with me, even when I step on his toes. He is willing to listen to me, even when I don't make any sense. He is willing to laugh with me, even when he doesn't really think things are as funny as I do. He is willing to hold me, even when I cry for reasons I can't put into words.

He lives up to his words in one of the earliest conversations we had, "I'm not like that. I'm different."

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I can't think of a better way to describe him than the orthodontist thing. It really does sum him up to a T.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful post! I'm sure your husband enjoyed reading this one. ;)

Lorie said...

Of course he added, "and I'm 'hella-cool'".