Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"That's a project we could do."

I have a confession.

I'm often a bit unrealistic when it comes to projects.

I'm not one of those people that thinks I can re-tile the entire bathroom, because let's face it, I have no experience in laying tile.

The projects that I'm more likely to attempt are the things that professionals make "look easy".

For example, early in our marriage Rachel Ray convinced me that I could actually create a "30 minute meal" in 30 minutes. This was before I had children and there were very few distractions in our lives, but it somehow managed to take me 2.5 hours to complete this quick meal. Thanks, Ray-Ray.

Before Nicholas was born, I thought, instead of spending more than $100 for a 4.5 foot crown molding shelf to hang in his room, we could easily build one for a lot less. They did it on HGTV and it was simple. Eric says this is one of those projects that I sometimes choose to test strengthen our marriage. Needless to say, trying to cut crown at the proper angle, using a miter box and handsaw, wasn't quite as quick and easy as the guy on HGTV with his miter saw made it look. We did get a GREAT shelf out of it, but during the process I thought we may be using the money we saved on the shelf to pay for some couples' counseling.

There was also the really ugly dresser and mirror combo that I found on Craigslist and decided we could sand and refinish for an inexpensive entry table. After removing the fixtures, repairing a drawer, sanding, priming, and painting with 2 coats of paint, buying wire cable and attaching it to the back of the mirror, then finding a stud and appropriate screws to hold the crazy-heavy mirror on the wall, it was finally finished. There weren't any tears with that one, but definitely some mutterings and questions about "Why is this a good idea?" (In case you're wondering, we both agreed that it turned out really well.)

Thankfully, I've become more realistic about what we're capable of and I've also found the Rethunk Junk lady that's not too far away, for the things that I have ideas for, but can't execute on my own.

No comments: