Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The end of the day

I know I'm not alone in this, because I've heard other stay-at-home-moms express the same feeling, but at the end of the day, when all little people have been tucked snugly into bed, I'm done.

I don't want to give anyone "just one sip of water" or "a little back rub" or "help to find my small blanket" because if you drink too much water I'll be changing the sheets in the middle of the night, I rubbed your back while we were reading the bedtime story, and your small blanket was in your bed when I left your room 3 minutes ago. I'm done!

But then there are the requests that are impossible to refuse. "Mommy, I'm scared. Will you sit by my bed?" "I love you so much. Will you hold my hand for a few minutes?" "Could we rock a little and will you pray with me?" I realize these statements can be just as manipulative as any other, but how can I refuse?

There are sometimes that I am racing from my parental responsibilities to the retreat of our comfy couch and a good book at the end of the evening. There are other times that I can be soothed by the sounds of my children slowly settling into rhythmic breathing that tells me in the darkness that they are sleeping. It continues to be an internal and external struggle. I know they need consistency, but I also know there are times to make exceptions to the routine.

I often wonder how they will remember bedtime when their beds are no longer under "my" roof.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

The 4 year old of a friend pulled one I'd never heard before (and which I couldn't have resisted): "Mommy, I didn't get quiiiiiiite enough love today. Can I stay up with you for just a liiiiiitle bit longer?"