Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fantasy vs. Reality: Revelations at Disney (Part 1)

Last weekend we took the kids to Disney World. It was their first trip ever, and my first time to go as a parent. It was filled with fun, excitement, and a bit of exhaustion.

I could spend time giving you a play by play of every event and activity we participated in, but one thought constantly made its way to the forefront in my mind, "In life, I must continually choose between the pursuit of a fantasy or acceptance of reality."

Please don't misunderstand. I am an idealist. I look for the best in people and circumstances. I am also a realist. I understand my own limits and have a firm grasp on the reality of human nature. It's the balance of seeing a Norman Rockwell Christmas painting, appreciating the ideal it captures, and embracing the reality of what Christmas is with my extended family (all the hurts, hang-ups, and habits that are attached to the individuals involved) and still finding joy in being together.

Now, back to Disney...When we began planning our trip to Disney, one image kept coming to my mind. I had discovered this photo on another blog and fallen in love. In the photo there are three sweet little girls with Mouseketeer Ears, sitting in front of Cinderella's castle with backs to the camera so that all you see is their closeness as the middle has her arms around each sister on the side. There is also an unworn pair of ears beside them, placed for the little sister that was growing then in their mother's womb. I thought, "How sweet it would be to have our own three children sitting with "ears" in front of the castle."

During our first day in the park, the kids noticed that other people were wearing "Mickey's ears" and my 5-year-old asked, "Daddy, can we get a hat with ears?" I was thrilled! I thought, "We're going to have a great picture in front of the castle, too!"

As we walked into the nearest gift shop, the kids discovered just how many different hats you can get at Disney. I was drawn to the simply classic "ears" thinking of the iconic photo I had fantasized about.

The kids were not interested.

My son had discovered a Goofy hat and his decision was made. He wanted Goofy. My girls had selected Princess Minnie hats that were cone shaped with a bit of tulle flowing from the top and little ears on the sides. Not quite the silhouette I had envisioned.

There I stood, in the middle of the store at a pivotal moment. During those seconds, unknown to anyone else, I was making my choice.

Would I force my fantasy on my children, sacrificing their joy for my Kodak moment?

Would I let go of the fantasy and embrace the reality of who my children are at this stage and what makes them happy, even if it doesn't produce the "ideal" picture that I hoped for?

The decision was made.

The photo was taken.

I smile every time I see it. I couldn't be happier with the memory. Here is the result:

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I've always loved that picture on Angie's blog, too! But yours is quite perfect just the way it is! Glad you had a great time!

keepingtrack said...

I love it, how totally precious!

Lorie said...

Thanks, Bridget! I am sooo happy with the way ours turned out. It is who we are :)